Agricultural Literacy Week 2017
With the advent of New York's booming grape industries we are proud to feature a book that so wonderfully captures this way of life for over 1,600 family-owned vineyards in our state. New York ranks third nationally in grape production, with 75% of grapes produced being made into grape juice and the other 25% processed into wine and used in the craft beverage industry.
STEM careers and post-secondary opportunities related to the grape industry are also growing in our state; from grape production, research, crop management, processing, tourism, and hospitality. It will be essential for our students to understand the importance of grapes as an economic driver in communities across New York, and develop an awareness for future career possibilities. All lessons, activities, and companion materials are aligned to the Common Core Learning Standards.
2017 Teacher Resource Guide
- Educator Resource Guide This resource provides the lesson plan information for the featured taste-testing activity for this year, along with vocabulary, domain connections, and alignment to the Common Core Learning Standards.
- Vocabulary Quizlet Prepare your students for their Agricultural Literacy Week visit by reviewing the vocabulary they will hear in the book.
- Newspapers in Education Resources Use these resources and read three profiles of NYS grape growers, use the provided crossword puzzle and word search to reinforce vocabulary, learn how to give an interview, and find classroom-friendly recipes.