Virtual Field Trips
Food and agriculture experiences come to life for students during farm visits, and now an opportunity to give a look behind the barn doors is more accessible than ever with a virtual field trip.
With field trip and transportation funding becoming more scarce every school year, you can still give your students an interactive look at farms and food-related industries. Live virtual field trips are engaging because students will have the chance to ask the farmers questions in real time. Experiences will be developed for grades Pre-K through 12, and each individual field trip description will include the grade levels appropriate for an experience.
- Device connected to the internet
- Webcam, microphone, and speakers
- Access to Zoom
- Work with your school's IT staff to ensure these sites are not blocked
Before your Virtual Field Trip
Prior to your virtual field trip you will be shipped an Inquiry Box to help trigger the curiosity of students. The Inquiry Box will hold four to six items that may include a tool used on the farm, products that are essential to animal or plant health, a farm or food by-product, samples, and more. None of the items will come with a description, and all of the items will be discussed, viewed, or demonstrated during the virtual field trip.
Strategies to Consider with your Inquiry Box:
- Schedule an unboxing to build anticipation
- Students select an item, create a hypothesis of its use or function, research, and present findings to the class
- Place the items around the room and students move in stations to examine each item and hypothesize it's function
- Write a question about one or more item to ask the farmer
- During the field trip, students can check off which items they see, sharing locations or context of each item during your debrief
Upcoming Virtual Field Trips
Exciting new virtual field trip opportunities are in the works! Check back here for updates and more information.
New York Spuds
Thursday, October 5, 2023
Open to grades K-12
Join us as we tour Marquart Farms to learn about the potato life cycle, how potatoes are harvested, and what makes this region of western New York special for growing premium potatoes.
Virtual Field Trips Playlist
Explore New York Agriculture in the Classroom's past Virtual Field Trips on our YouTube page.